Over the past several years, LED light bulbs have been growing in popularity due to one main reason: they’re proven to save lots of money. How? Well, LED lights are much more energy-efficient, meaning that you’re going to end up using them for a longer time than regular fluorescent or halogen bulbs. And, they’re good for the environment because only 5 percent of their energy is wasted. Since not as much energy is used, greenhouse gas emissions are greatly increased, which has a much better impact on our environment. So, you have plenty of convincing reasons to consider purchasing LED bulbs for your home, office, or anywhere else.
In this article, we will help to make your decision a lot easier, considering the fact that many companies on the market have their own lumin LED light bulbs. Here, you will be able to find information on the different types of LED bulbs out there, what some of the most popular brands are, as well as our picks according to Amazon reviews of the best LED bulbs to purchase.
Different Types of LED Light Bulbs
When you go to purchase a lumin LED light bulb, you might become overwhelmed with all the different types you have to choose from. We will break down the different categories for you so you can make a more informed decision on what type you will need for your home.
- The color: LED lights come in several
different colors. These are the three main ones:
- Warm white: This will most likely be what you’re going to use in your home.
- Daylight: This has a slightly blue hue to it, which makes it the perfect option if you’re in an environment where it is necessary to highlight true colors.
- Cool white: This is mainly used in stores and offices. Cool white LED bulbs are those bright white light bulbs you usually see when you go out in public.
- Note: You may also choose to get LED bulbs in several different colors, including red, blue, green, purple, and more if you want to add a unique look to your space. This is especially recommended if you want to add a special touch to a party or other event.
- Dimmable vs. Non-dimmable: If you already have a dimmer switch at home, you will be able to purchase LED light bulbs for home that are either dimmable or non-dimmable. This simply means that, with the use of a light switch, you will be able to adjust their brightness accordingly.
- The shape: The final thing you should keep in mind when it comes to purchasing different types of LED lights is their shape. The shape that you should use is largely dependent on what you intend on using the light bulbs for. The most common shapes include spotlight, GLS, candle, golf ball, and reflector.
LED Light Bulb Brands
Another factor that you may want to keep in mind when you go to choose an LED bulb is the brand. Undoubtedly, there are several brands on the market that people tend to trust more than others.
- Philips: While Philips is particularly well-known for many of the different appliances it has to offer, the brand is also known for its high-quality light bulbs. The brand features several different collections for LED bulbs that you can choose from, all of which are known to last a long time and are among customers’ favorites. Since Philips is a brand that many people trust for their homes, it is no surprise that the brand’s light bulbs also are among the highest-ranked.
- Great Eagle: Although it might not necessarily be as popular as Philips, that does not mean that Great Eagle’s products are of any poorer quality. The company is specifically tailored toward selling lights of all kinds, including light bulbs. Their products are highly affordable as well, so you will find that you won’t have to spend too much money to end up purchasing something that will benefit you. You will have a lot of options to choose from when it comes to your LED lights, and the company places a high level of importance on its customers, so you can be sure that you will be getting quality service.
- SYLVANIA General Lighting: Sylvania is a leader in lighting in North America, so they are also well-known for providing some of the best-quality light bulbs on the market. You can choose between a wide assortment of different LED lights, including LED replacement bulbs and ones for different parts of the home. They have some of the highest-reviewed bulbs on Amazon, which is definitely not surprising considering how much trust people place on the brand.
Top 5 Best LED Bulbs
Of course, the first product on our list comes from Philips. These are non-dimmable yet long-lasting. The brand claims that these light bulbs will provide up to 10,950 hours of use and they use at least 80 percent less energy than regular fluorescent bulbs, which means that you’re going to save a lot. These bulbs also do not contain mercury, making them much safer for your home. You can choose between the bulbs that are the 60-watt or 40-watt equivalent. You can use these for any purpose, including to light up your living room, bathroom, bedroom, or any other room in the house. These bulbs will fit in any E26 Medium Base. You get 16 light bulbs with this particular pack, so you will certainly have enough to last you a very long time. This seems to be one of the highest-rated LED bulbs on Amazon, with almost 4,000 people giving these bulbs 4.5-star ratings.
As we mentioned earlier, Sylvania is another brand that many people trust when it comes to their LED bulbs. With this particular option, you have the ability to choose between a 4 pack, 12 pack, and 24 pack, so you can always have enough light bulbs on hand if necessary. They produce the same brightness as a 60-watt fluorescent bulb would at 800 lumens. These Sylvania bulbs are a great way for you to save energy because they all are meant to last for up to 11,000 hours, which is significantly longer than regular light bulbs are able to. You will also be able to save a lot of money on your electric bill. In addition to this, the light emitted by these bulbs is bright, but not so bright that you won’t be able to look at it. The soft white color makes these bulbs perfect for use in any part of your home. It is important to note that these light bulbs are not dimmable.
Great Eagle is another brand that many people believe produces the best LED light bulbs. These in particular are among the longest-lasting. These bulbs can work for 25,000 hours, making them some of the longest-lasting on the market. This also means that you can forget about purchasing new ones for a long time. They can replace your 60-watt fluorescent bulbs and these bulbs produce a cool white color. You can even use them in cooler spaces or anywhere around the house. The A19 size means that you will be able to use them in many different types of light fixtures. These light bulbs are non-dimmable, but they turn on instantly, meaning that you won’t have to wait for them to light up or anything like that.
This 6-pack or 24-pack of light bulbs comes in several different colors for you to choose from according to the space you want to use them in. They will fit in all kinds of light fixtures due to their A19 size. You can save up to 87 percent in energy use due to the fact that these bulbs will replace your 100-watt halogen and incandescent bulbs. You can easily use these light bulbs for any part of the home or office, including for lamps, fans, and other light fixtures. They turn on instantly to their full brightness and produce 1,600 lumens of light. You can also purchase a dimmable version separately. The color produced is bright and accurate, yet you will be able to use them for around 25,000 hours.
And the final product on our best LED bulbs list is from the AmazonBasics brand. With this option, you will be able to choose between purchasing a 2-pack, 6-pack, 16-pack, or 24-pack of bulbs. They come in the colors daylight or soft white. It is estimated that these light bulbs will last for 10,000 hours if used every day for 3 hours. They produce 800 lumens of light and will achieve their full brightness immediately, without you having to wait for them to light up. You can use these for any room in your house. If you choose to purchase this option, you will be saving a lot of energy and money because they only use 9 watts. Their size is A19, meaning that they will be able to fit in most light fixtures.
Even More Options
LED Light-bulb Buying Guide
Aside from the different types of LED lights that you can choose from, there are also a few important pointers that you will want to take note of when you go to purchase yours.
- How bright is the light? LED lights are measured in lumens, and you will be able to convert watts to lumens easily if you’re ever confused. If you purchase a bulb with a higher number of lumens, then you will have a brighter light. You can simply compare the regular fluorescent or halogen lights that you’re using to the LED lights you’re interested in to see how bright you want the light to be.
- Where do I intend to use these lights? The answer to this question will impact several different factors, such as the color of the lights that you choose, the size, the shape, and the brightness. For example, if you have a business, then the LED bulb you will choose will end up being quite different from the one you would choose if you’re just looking for something for the house.
- How do LED light bulbs for the home work? Another thing you will want to consider when you go to purchase LED lights is how they work. As we mentioned earlier, these lights are much better for the environment because they don’t produce their energy using heat as fluorescent bulbs do. The acronym LED stands for light-emitting diode, which refers to a semi-conductor that lights up when a current passes through. Once upon a time, LED light bulbs were rather expensive, but then the price of light-emitting diodes decreased. This is why you are able to get LED lights for such an inexpensive price. And, you will end up saving on your electric bill because these lights don’t use as much energy. Besides all of that, LED lights will provide thousands of more hours of use than regular fluorescent bulbs will, so you don’t have to spend as much on purchasing new light bulbs every so often.
LED bulbs are much more energy-efficient than regular light bulbs, which means that you will end up spending a lot less money on your electric bill and on buying new bulbs in the future. They also last a lot longer, so you won’t have to worry about your bulbs blowing out on you as often. In all, switching to LED bulbs is a great decision whether you want to do so for your home, office, or anywhere in between.